September 30, 2014

Empties: September 2014

Another month has come to an end and today I want to share my empties for September.



Caudalie Make-Up Remover Cleansing Water (400mL)
I use cleansing water every night and this bottle lasted me about 3.5 months. The scent is inoffensive, but it is not my favorite. The formula is soothing on the skin and very reliable for removing residual traces of make-up. I never use cleansing water as my primary eye make-up remover, so I could only say that it does a great job for removing my lip and base products. I purchase this 400mL bottle in Paris for less than €15. The 200mL bottle retails for C$28 in Canada, so I would definitely go for the Bioderma or L'Oreal versions instead.

Covergirl Clean Makeup Remover for Eyes & Lips (60mL)
The fluid lotion-like consistency meant that a lot of product gets absorbed instantly into the cotton round, thus I went through this bottle rather quickly. The formula smells like yogurt-scent glue, but it does remove every last bit of make-up, even though on some days, it takes a bit of effort to work in the formula. I would prefer if this product came with a pump since the opening of the bottle is very wide. Although it claims to be be suitable for both eyes and lips, I only use it to remove eye make-up. This retails for C$6-7 and I would not repurchase.

Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturizer (15mL)
I received this deluxe sample as part of a 500 Sephora point perk that I redeemed last winter [Haul Here]. This bottle lasted me two weeks with morning and night use. The formula is light and feels velvety on the skin once it absorbed. I have normal skin and I find this product not moisturizing enough for my face. However, after a week of use, my skin started to develop dry patches and by the end of the two weeks, my skin was so dry that I started to get more oily around my cheeks and had a few breakouts just under the skin. After replenishing my skin with a sample of the Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask and regular use of my new tube of the Caudalie Premieres Vendanges Moisturizing Cream, my skin has thankfully returned to its normal balance. I would not purchase the 1.7oz full size for C$78.

MISSHA Love Secret Hand Cream - Tireur (27mL)
This hand cream has a very light consistency and absorbs quickly. I don't think it is very moisturizing, but I enjoyed using it during the summer months. This is a limited Zodiac Sign edition packaging for the regular Cotton White scent, which for some odd reason, reminds me of vinegar. My favorite feature of this hand cream is how the narrow opening makes it so easy to control how much I squeeze out of the tube. This product retails for C$3-4 and I would not repurchase.

Yes to Cucumbers Facial Towelettes (10 travel towelettes)
I like to use facial towelettes after working out and this version feels very refreshing on the skin. The problem for me is that if I don't rinse my face immediately after use, my skin would start to sting. As far as an on-the-go solution, this product wouldn't serve that purpose for me. This 10-pack retails for C$3-4 and I would not repurchase.

First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Purifying Mask With Red Clay (Sample)
Lastly, I want to mention my first impression of the mask sample that I received in my recent Sephora order [Haul Here]. I usually don't include one-use samples in my empties since it is hard to judge a product just with one use. After one use of this mask, I have a lot to say.



This is a peel-off mask that is meant to control oil, minimize pores, and decongest the skin. I applied a thin layer and the formula stung for the first 5 minutes. The irritation eventually died away and I left it on for about 25 minutes before peeling it off. It is easy to tell when the mask has sufficiently dried when I make exaggerated facial expressions and the edges start to lift. Most of the mask came off in under a minute, but there are certain spots that took a little longer because the mask wasn't completely dry. I also made the mistake of applying the formula over my brows and it took patience to not rip out my brow hairs. Overall, it took about 10 minutes to clean off every trace of the mask. There is an instant effect on my pores and I see plenty of whiteheads stuck to the mask as well as more sitting on top of my skin. The formula did not break me out and my skin did not produce more oil the next morning. My skin also felt very soft.

There is shimmer throughout the formula, which is a little bit odd considering this is a skincare product. I used the majority of the 8mL sample pack in one-use, so the 3oz full-size would probably last 12-15 uses for me. The full size retails for C$37, which breakdowns down to about C$2-3 per use. I don't think I would repurchase, mostly because I am a little put off by glitter in skincare.


What did you use up this month?

2 comments:

  1. LOL I almost mistook the peel off mask as a pretzel. Strange they'd put glitter in a face mask. A cream I get cause it'd add luminosity to the skin but a mask is washed off.. Good to know about the Kate Somerville moisturizer though. I have a sample I've been saving up but it doesn't sound like my skin would like it much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glitters in the formula made this otherwise good mask a no-buy for me. The KS moisturizer has really good texture, but it just wasn't moisturizing enough for my skin.

      Delete