August 4, 2014

What's in My Makeup Bag: Trip to New York City

For the week that I spent in New York City in mid-July, I packed minimum make-up as clothes and documents were prioritized into my carry-on. I refrained from checking my bag since it would be an awful start to my business trip to lose my luggage. Today I want to share the few products that I packed for my trip.


The list:
  • Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner (0.01oz)
  • Buxom Full-On Lip Polish - Dolly (2mL) [Review Here]
  • KIKO Kiss Balm - Blackberry (0.1oz) [Review Here]
  • La Roche-Posay Nutritic Lips
  • Laura Mercier Lip Glace - Bare Pink (0.1oz) [Swatch Here]
  • Maybelline Master Glaze Blush Stick - 10 Just-Pinched Pink (0.24oz)
  • NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer - Custard (6mL)
  • Rimmel Exaggerate Undercover Shadow Primer (6mL)
  • The Face Shop Lovely ME:EX Design My Eyebrow - 03 Black Brown
  • Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Trio - 335 Silent Treatment [Review Here]

The theme of this makeup bag is compact, minimum-liquid, and no-brush-required. My daily makeup on this trip just involved a bit of concealer, eyeshadow primer, the Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Trio, blush, eyebrow pencil, the Laura Mercier Lip Glace for the office, the Buxon Full-On Lip Polish for the evening, and the KIKO Kiss Balm for anytime out in the sun. I did not pack a mascara as I was not confident that any of the ones that I have been using would withstand the humidity in the city.




In alphabetical order, here are some brief thoughts on the items that I have not previously wrote about.

Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner


I received a deluxe sample of this eyeliner with my recent Sephora purchase and after my experience so far, I am very glad that I did not purchase the full-size.

It took over 50 twists (vs 8-10 rotations as claimed) to get out any product, but once the formula started to flow, one twist dispenses just the right amount of eyeliner for both eyes. I found the applicator easy to control, but it took a bit of practice to get really close the lash line. The formula dries to a matte finish, but smudges within a few hours. Luckily I did not wear it to the office.

I may give it a few more tries, but it is so difficult to remove that I probably will not bother. The full-size retails for CAD$29.


Update (September 26, 2014): Updated impressions Here




La Roche-Posay Nutritic Lips

I have had this La Roche-Posay lip balm for almost a year now and it always lives in my bag when I travel. My flight routine starts with lip balm as soon as my suitcase is in the overhead. The texture is a bit slippery and there is not much of a scent or taste. I purchase mine in Munich for €4.50, but at the $16 price tag in Canada, I would not repurchase.




Maybelline Master Glaze Blush Stick(Just-Pinched Pink)


I have had this blush stick since February and I have worn it quite a bit over the last six months. When I first moved to Toronto, I was without brushes for the first two months while waiting for my lease to start before moving the rest of my stuff to the city. At that time, anything that I can use with my fingers to blend is a win in my book. Convenience is also the major reason why I like to bring this blush when I travel.

The Just-Pinched Pink shade is a very natural pink for every day and I do 1-2 swipes and then blend with my fingers. The sheen is much more obvious under sunlight than in the bullet, but under most lighting conditions, the shimmers add a nice subtle glow to the cheeks.

The formula also works well for touch-ups, I have been using one swipe on each cheek before I head into the office and then add a second swipe when I want a bit more color for the evening. The color lasts about six hours on me and looks really good over sunscreen as well.

I have generally stayed away from cream blushes, but this blush stick is so convenient to use. This blush stick retails for $CAD11-12 and this is definitely my go-to blush for travel and the summer.




NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer (Custard)


This concealer is a much-talked about, much-raved about product. My experience with it over the past three months have been just as good as I had expected. This is the first time that I have found a concealer that works for both dark circles as well as for hyper-pigmentation and breakouts. Custard is the perfect shade match for me at the moment.

The formula is quite thick, so for my under-eyes, I like to dab the applicator once on the back of my hand for enough product to use under both eyes. I find it works best with my fingers than with a brush. The coverage is medium to full, but sets in the most natural way and lasts all day.

Similarly for other areas around the face, I like to dab the wand on the back of my hand since I don't want to contaminate the doe-foot applicator with any bacteria from the blemishes.

This retails for CAD$32 and it is worth every penny. I imagine that it would last a long time since I only need a little every day.




Rimmel Exaggerate Undercover Shadow Primer

I have been using this eyeshadow primer since January and its performance is mediocre at best. The formula has a slight sheen and does provide a smooth base for applying the eyeshadows. However, it does not improve color payoff and does not lengthen the crease-less wear time of my eyeshadows at all.

Sometimes, I like to apply a primer even when I am not wearing eyeshadow to help my eyeliner last longer. Even on its own, the primer would crease within a few hours. I only packed this product since it is the only primer that I have at the moment. I will use up the rest of this tube, but I will not repurchase. The only plus about this product is that it only costs CAD$4-5.


Update (September 26, 2014): Updated impressions Here




The Face Shop Lovely ME:EX Design My Eyebrow (Black Brown)


I had been using this eyebrow pencil since May and it has dethroned my past favorite, which is the Milani Easybrow in Dark Brown [Review Here]. The lasting power isn't as great, but the color match is much better.

The pencil twists up and I go over my brows several times before blending everything out with the spoolie brush. I wish the pencil didn't have the triangular shape, but at CAD$4, it is a wonderful product that looks natural, lasts a long day and can stand against the summer humidity.


That is all for what I packed in my makeup bag for my trip to New York City!


What are your travel must-haves?

2 comments:

  1. Nice! i'm actually going to New York in a week and I'm deciding what to take. I have the Silent Treatment palette too and it's really nice. I might like it better than Walking on Eggshells.

    gingercatqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great time in New York! Silent Treatment is the only Wet n Wild eyeshadow that I own, but definitely one of my favorite palette to travel with.

      Delete