July 2, 2014

Strawberry Picking!

It has been over a decade since my last visit to a berry field and I reacquainted with the pick-my-own experience this past weekend with some strawberries at Whittamore's.


Aside from strawberries, there are other crops available for picking over the 200+ acres property. Strawberries are spread over several lots and we were directed to the one at the very end when we arrived around noon on the Saturday.


As we did not go prepared with containers, we purchased this bucket for CAD$3.50 to collect the strawberries. The strawberries themselves are priced at CAD$2.35/lb.


After about three quarters of an hour under the blazing sun, we went away with just under 5lbs of strawberries. Too bad the strawberries taste a bit too sour than what I would have preferred.


My parents have an apple tree in the yard, so I have fond memories of getting fresh apples back in the days when I lived at the parents'. Picking strawberries is much more work due to their smaller sizes, but I enjoyed the experience and it is one of those occasions when I could eat the fruits of my labour.


Do you have any plans to pick our own fruits this summer?


Contact Detail: Whittamore's
8100 Steeles Avenue East, Markham, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment