January 25, 2014

Review: Maybelline Color Sensational Color Elixir (Mauve Mystique)

I have been checking out these Maybelline Color Sensational Color Elixirs since they launched in stores around October of last year. As this line of lip colors was due to become part of Maybelline's permanent collection, I delayed my purchase for almost 3 months. I finally picked up the shade Mauve Mystique earlier this month and today I want to share my thoughts.


The package design drew me in immediately! The lipstick bullet with the Color Elixir shade suspended in clear plastic is a winner for me. The teardrop applicator has a cushiony feel against the lips and embodies sufficient flexibility to ensure an even application.



I have naturally pigmented lips, so one layer of the formula only gives me a slight mauve tint. Even with additional coats, the color payoff would not build up to the tube shade.

These Color Elixirs are advertised to have "color of a lipstick, the cushiony care of a balm, and the glass shine of a gloss", but I find the coverage to be medium at best with only a soft shine finish. I would consider this product to be in line with standard lip glosses instead of a lip color.

Although this lip color's performance does not match up to its claims, the product still looks and feels great on the lips. The non-sticky formula lasts 1-2 hours and wears off without drying out my lips.

The only things that bother me are the overwhelming sweet floral scent and the bitter aftertaste. The accompanying scent is much better suited for a perfume than with a lip product, but unfortunately the fragrance lasts throughout the 1-2 hours wear time.

The tube only contains 5mL of product and at $7-$9, this line of Color Elixirs leans toward the more expansive end of drugstore lip products. Even though the packaging is a winner and the formula looks great, I would not be purchasing any of the other shades. The heavy fragrance is definitely a deal-breaker for me.


Have you tried these Maybelline Color Elixirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment