November 27, 2013

The Perfect Palette TAG

As soon as I saw Allison's (Amarixe) tag video on The Perfect Palette [Watch Here], I knew this would be the perfect topic to write my first ever tag post. My oldest make-up memory dates back to three Caboodles eyeshadow singles and even though the cosmetic brand disappeared over the many years since, eyeshadows always have a special place in my heart.



For palettes that I have previously mentioned, I decided on reusing the images from the original posts (which will be linked in case anyone wants to check out the review and swatches). For palettes that are debuting in this post, swatches and brief overview of my thoughts are also included. So let's get started!


Best Packaging: Catrice Absolute Eye Colour Trios (C01 Soft Thrill & C02 Gentle Thrill)


For this first question, I went with the functional definition of "best" instead of choosing based on aesthetic appeal. Although I think the packaging for these two Catrice eyeshadow trios are quite pretty as well.

The clear sturdy packaging with well-made clasps reminds me of Shu Uemera eyeshadows that I have not yet been able to justify the price to purchase. These two trios are part of the Thrilling Me Softly limited edition from earlier this Fall, but the packaging is representative of Catrice eyeshadows in the permanent line as well.

It is unfortunate that the pigmentation of these two trios are quite poor, but I would be open to try other eyeshadows from the brand since they are very affordable (these trios were around €3.50 each).


Best Color Payoff: Urban Decay Deluxe Shadow Box [Original Review Here]


Incredible pigmentation. Super buttery formula. Blends well. Enough said.


Most Versatile: Sleek i-Divine Eye Shadow Palette (Storm) [Original Review Here]


A good mix of neutrals and jewel tones, of light and dark, of matte and shimmer. Love it.


Best for Traveling: Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Shadow & Liner (Nude)


This is the palette that I have taken with me on my last few trips. It is super compact and I can almost fit the entire palette in the palm of my hand. There are 9 shades that are ordered into three ready-to-wear groups for looks ranging from Natural to Playful to Dramatic, but I just mix-and-match the colors depending on my mood. As the palette is quite small, I am limited to smaller brushes for getting into the strips without contaminating nearby shades. Of course, creating new colors from swirling the brush across multiple shades is always an option as well.

These eyeshadows can be applied dry or wet, are hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, paraben-free, dermatologist approved, and safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wears. The palette also comes with a slanted foam applicator. Overall, I really like this eyeshadow palette and I think it is a great option for under $10.


Biggest Regret: Mary Quant Colour Palette (Eye Opener Eyeshadows in N-05 & A-34)


This is a self-assembled eyeshadow duo featuring two of Mary Quant Eye Opener Eyeshadows in N-05 (warm brown) and A-34 (silver shimmer with purple tints). N-05 is from the permanent line while A-34 is from the 2012 Autumn collection (limited edition as marked by the floral pattern).

There is nothing really wrong with these two eyeshadows. The color payoffs are good, the shades are flattering, and the pigments have decent wear-time. The problem is that these two shades are not very unique. For N-05, my Collection Work the Colour Eyeshadow Pencil in Hot Chocolate [Review Here] and the far left shade in the bottom rows of both my Sleek i-Divine Eye Shadow Palettes in Storm and Au Naturel [Review Here] offer similar colors, although by no means identical. A-34 is very similar to the highlight shade in the upper right corner of my Dior 5-Colour Designer All-In-One Artistry Palette in Navy Design.

With plenty of alternatives, I don't reach for this Mary Quant duo often enough to justify the price. I don't remember exactly what each item cost, but my records tell me that I paid £23 total for the set. I swatched many of the brand's eyeshadow singles while I was in the London shop and found very few that I liked. I probably will not try out any more eyeshadows from Mary Quant.


Best Color Names: Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette [Original Review Here]



So many of my palettes lack proper names for the eyeshadows, so this Urban Decay palette wins by default.


Least Used: Lancome Colour Focus Palette 4 Ombres Exceptional Wear EyeColour Quad (Enchanted Forest)


This palette was a gift and the packaging is absolutely beautiful! I believe this line of eyeshadows quads has been discontinued. I rarely reach for this palette as the color combination is not very versatile or very flattering on me.


Most Used/Most Loved/Desert Island: Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Trio (Silent Treatment) [Original Review Here]


I change up my favorites quite often. At the moment, I am loving this Wet n Wild trio in Silent Treatment. For everyday, I also regularly reach for my mini Dior Colour Eyeshadow Palette (Grège 734) [Review Here], the Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips mentioned above, and other eyeshadows duos. I also love to mix-and-match my single eyeshadows.


That is it! I have listed the questions below for anyone who wants to complete this tag, I would love to read your responses!

The Perfect Palette TAG questions:
  • Best Packaging
  • Best Color Payoff
  • Most Versatile
  • Best for Traveling
  • Biggest Regret
  • Best Color Names
  • Least Used
  • Most Used, Most Loved, Desert Island


What are your responses to the tag questions? Does anyone remember Caboodles brand make-up from back in the days?

No comments:

Post a Comment