September 14, 2013

Vacation around the UK: Harry Potter Edition

Are you a Harry Potter fan? If so, read on. If not, well, read on anyways. When I took a two-week vacation to travel around the UK last month, I stopped by several attractions around the Harry Potter theme. Today I want to share them together.

Since I departed my vacation from London King's Cross, let's start with the Platform 9 3/4. There is also a gift shop located next door with the same name. Unless you are in the station in the early morning or late evening, do expect a long line if you want to take a photo with the trolley.



On my first day in Edinburgh, it was raining cats and dogs. We dived into The Elephant House while waiting for the downpour to let up. This cafe is known as the place where JK Rowling spent writing the first books in the series.




A latte, a cappuccino, and a brownie. Average food, but very pleasant atmosphere.



After 3 days in the city, I rounded up my visit in Edinburgh with a visit to Fettes College. Some say that the description of Hogwarts was partially inspired by the exterior of this boarding school. The school grounds weren't open to visitors, so I only got a glimpse of the building from the gates.



Last up is a visit to the Warner Bros Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter. I took the train from London Euston to Watford Junction to wait for the studio shuttle. Tickets must be bought in advance and are required to board the shuttle.



The cupboard under the stairs


Uniforms worn by the cast in the Great Hall


Yule ball gowns


Chocolate, yes, some are real chocolate that's been around for close to a decade now.


Boy's dorm, note the HP initials


Snape's Potions classroom


The Gryffindor common room


Dumbledore's office...


Taking a break with my Butterbeer. The supposed warm beverage is actually a float-drink served cold.


The castle


DVD of my green screen broomstick ride



Have you read JK Rowling's recent works?

No comments:

Post a Comment