September 11, 2013

In the Mail: Another Sephora Haul, Swatches, and First Impressions

I am currently visiting family on the US east coast and I couldn't resist making another Sephora order only weeks after my previous one. I am super excited about the two Urban Decay palettes that I picked up on sale. Today I want to share my order, swatches of the palettes, and my first impressions on what I picked up.



My order:
  • Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser (45mL)
  • REN Rosa Centifolia Foaming Cleanser (150mL) [Review Here]
  • Urban Decay Deluxe Shadow Box (9 x 0.04oz)
  • Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette (10 x 0.03oz)
  • Glamglow Youthmud Tinglexfoliate Treatment - 100 BI Points (7mL) [Review Here]
  • Shiseido Ibuki Refining Moisturizer - Sample (15mL)
  • Becca Radiant Skin Satin Finish Foundation - Light - Sample (0.5mL)
  • Hourglass Discover Your Perfect Foundation Formula - Light Series - Sample (0.6mL)
  • Make Up Forever Pro Finish Multi-Use Powder Foundation - Light Complexion - Sample (0.003oz)


I have already given the Glamglow Youthmud Tinglexfoliate Treatment a whirl this past weekend and I am very impressed. This mud mask has a very pleasant, slightly minty scent. The thin layer I applied dried to a light grey color within the promised 10 minutes. I used dampened cotton rounds to gently remove the dried patches and the impurities came off easily with the mask. It has been three days and the pore-minimizing effects are still persisting. I haven't had any adverse reactions to the mask aside from a little dehydration, so be sure to follow up with a rich moisturizer. There is probably one or two more uses left in my sample, if this mask continues to perform well, I may cave and shell out for the full-size.

My first try of the REN Rosa Centifolia Foaming Cleanser left my skin feeling a little dry. I will give it a few more chances in case the dehydration was due to the weather taking a cold turn.

Intended for an older age, the Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser and the Shiseido Ibuki Refining Moisturizer are for the older woman in my family. Foundation samples were the only choices available when I placed my order. I will update once I try out these three formulas.




On to the swatches and my first impressions of the two Urban Decay eyeshadow palettes. These two palettes both feature shades that range from neutrals to brights. Most of the shades have a shimmer finish and a subset of the Urban Ammo Eye Palette amps up the sparkle with additional glitter.

Urban Decay Deluxe Shadow Box

This palette features 9 shades, a large mirror, and two duo-sided applicators. On sale for $10, it also comes with a small trial size of the Eyeshadow Primer Potion (2.66mL). Please click to enlarge photos.


Fishnet: Metallic MagentaHoney: Rusted GoldRansom: Royal Blue
Graffiti: GrassgreenZero: BlackPeace: Cyan
Shag: CopperScratch: Rose GoldUnderground: Taupe



Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

This palette features 10 of the brand's bestselling shades (Smog and Sin are in the Naked palette while Chopper is part of the Naked 2 palette). With a large mirror and a foam duo-sided applicator, this version is currently on sale for only $12! Urban Decay has released another version Ammo Palette retailing for $34 with the same 10 shades (also same size) in a new formula, with a mini bristle brush and a trial Eyeshadow Primer Potion. Anyways, back to swatches and first impressions of the original palette.


Smog: Golden BrownMildew: Olive GreenOil Slick: Black with GlitterLast Call: PlumChopper: Bronze
Maui Wowie: SandShattered: SkybluePolyester Bride: White ShimmerGrifter: VioletSin - Champagne



While this palette does not involve any matte shades, the soft shimmer blends nicely to a natural finish. There is a bit of fallout for the glitter shades (Maui Wowie, Oil Slick, Polyester Bride, Grifter, and Chopper to be exact), so if you dislike cleaning after fallout, this palette is probably not for you.

I find this palette to be very versatile. So far I have worn Smog all over the lid, Maui Wowie in the inner corners, and Mildew in the outer crease for an earthly look. For a warmer tone, I replaced the above shades with Chopper, Sin, and Last Call in the same order. These shadows last a nice 6 hours without a primer. I will update once I have played with this palette a little more.

What did you pick up recently? Would you be interested in these Urban Decay palettes?

2 comments:

  1. I have 4 Urban Decay palettes that I hardly ever use. They're very versatile but I'm just too lazy to deal with the glitter bombs that are Urban Decay eyeshadows :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just invested in an eyeshadow shield, fingers-crossed that it would eliminate the fallout.

      Delete