August 22, 2013

Duck & Waffle

My friends have been recommending Duck & Waffle since it debuted last summer and I have been meaning to check out the 40th floor view for a while now. Around 10pm one night, I miraculously secured a reservation for two for 5:30pm the very next day. I felt extremely lucky since the previous few times I have tried to make reservations, the only availabilities within a week's time were before 9am or after 9pm. Today I want to share my dining experience.

I tried to block the construction crane with my champagne glass (Laurent Perrier Brut, my favorite!). Incidentally I also blocked the view of the Tower of London. Two friends of mine whom I haven't seen in 7 years visited London last weekend and I accompanied their tour inside the Tower. I really enjoy reading about 16th century England, thus the events concerning King Henry VIII fascinated me more than did the crown jewels. Anyways, let's get back to Duck & Waffle.


We were among the first guests to arrive. Admittedly, 5:30pm was a bit early for dinner, especially in the summer months. However, by the time our food arrived, most of the seats were filled up. There is also a bar area near the entrance of the restaurant.



The foie gras 'all day breakfast'. Who knew nutella and foie gras would mix so well? The foie gras wasn't very fatty, which I prefer. Love this dish!



A bag of BBQ-spiced crispy pig ears. Not bad, but an excessive amount of chewing was in order.



The Dorset crab toast. Very fresh ingredients, but not an ounce of surprise in the taste or the texture.



The spicy ox cheek doughnut. I didn't like this dish at all. The odd blend of sweet-and-spicy just did not mix well.



Finally, the namesake dish: the duck & waffle! This was so good! The waffle was crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The crispy duck confit didn't taste gamely at all. Add the fried egg and a bit of maple syrup for pure delight.



Overall, I had a wonderful dining experience. The service was attentive without being intrusive. I would definitely recommend the all day breakfast and the duck & waffle to anyone visiting this restaurant.

What is your favorite restaurant with a view?

Contact Detail: Duck & Waffle
Heron Tower 40th Floor - 110 Bishopsgate, London

2 comments:

  1. I was a bit surprised when I read the end of the post..I thought you were going to say that the place wasn't what you were expecting. The duck and waffle seems to have a strange combinations, yet makes you want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the dinner was a splurge, I'm happy to say that the restaurant met my expectations and more. I am eager to return, but I will save my next trip until a special occasion arises.

      Delete