July 8, 2013

Review: NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil (New Lover)

I picked up this NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover from the 2013 London IMATS. This is a gilded coral pink lip gloss that I have been wearing almost everyday for the past two weeks. Today I want to share my thoughts on my first experience with lip gloss in a pencil.





Let me start by saying that New Lover makes the lips look absolutely amazing under sunlight. The individual gold shimmers don't stand out on their own, but together, they create a radiant glow. The formula applies evenly and the color payoff is sheer-to-medium. I can build the color through multiple swipes, but there is a limit on how much color the pencil would give me. The color and subtle shine last about 4-5 hours and the formula doesn't dry out my lips. In short, this pencil gives the look of gloss without the stickiness. Although the shine is not as obvious as delivered by regular lip glosses, I prefer this type of subtle shine for everyday.

I wish NARS would package their lip pencils as retractable twist-ups so no sharpening would be needed. I recommend applying the product on the side instead of from the tip. This will still give control over the desired area of application, but squeeze in a few more wears before the tip becomes completely dull.

For a similar gilded finish over your natural lip color, I suggest Buxom Lip Polish in Leslie. I have been layering the two products together and I love the result of the combo!

These NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils retail for £17.50, but I got mine at IMATS for only £7! I really should have picked up a few more...

Have you tried NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil? What is your favorite lip product sharpener?

3 comments:

  1. New Lover is the only NARS Velvet Gloss lip pencil I have so far but if $$ wasn't an issue, I'd probably buy the whole line of VGLP's! I have a thing for lip gloss/balm pencils :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish NARS would release a value set of VGLP minis. Which brand's sharpener have you been using to sharpen your pencil? I need to pick up a new one and would love some recommendations

      Delete
    2. I'm using a dual sharpener from Sephora right now but I've read that Essence makes one similar to Urban Decay's Grindhouse sharpener and it's only $2 or something!

      Delete