June 26, 2013

Review: Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 For Face/Body

I bought this Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 For Face/Body in March as part of my Sephora Haul. After using it for the past 3 months, today I want to share my thoughts.



Every summer for the past 3 years, I have been using the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ For Face. It was the first sunscreen that didn't make me break out, so why mess with a good thing? Unfortunately, it was out of stock when I placed my order. I recently checked back and Shiseido seems to have repackaged the blue tube to Ultimate Sun Protection Cream+ Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ For Face. I hope the formula is staying the same because I simply love that sunscreen. Anyways, let's get back to the white tube that I purchased for this summer.



I notice a slight white cast when I first blend in the sunscreen, but it fades nicely once it has time to set. By the time I head out the door, the light formula feels dry to touch (it is recommended to apply sun protection 15 minutes before sun exposure). My skin doesn't have any problems and the smell is not very strong.

This sunscreen is non-comedogenic, and is also dermatologist and ophthalmologist-tested. I have not yet been to the beach this summer, so I can't say anything about the 40-minutes water resistant claim. I don't know if I would even get the opportunity to test out this claim since, well, UK is not exactly the place for some beach time. I only use it on my face, so far, my skin hasn't seen much sun due to the delayed warm weather in the UK.

SPF (Sun Protection Factor) protects against UVB rays and Broad Spectrum protects against UVA and UVB rays. Unfortunately the packaging doesn't provide the exact rating for UVA protection, which accounts for the majority of the harmful rays. Sunscreen should also be removed like makeup at the end of the day.

Comparison with the blue tube:





I don't find the two sunscreens to be significantly different, but since the blue tube has been open for over a year now, the formula may have deteriorated due to the active ingredients. I buy a new bottle of sunscreen every summer, so I have not used the blue bottle since last Fall. Overall, I am a devoted Shiseido sunscreen user for years and I will continue to purchase one variety or another for the foreseeable future. This sunscreen retails for $30 for 50mL.

What is your go-to sunscreen?

2 comments:

  1. shiseido used to be my favorite too! Now I am trying out la roche posay because Shiseido was too greasy on the skin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of the La Roche-Posay one, I will be trying out Bioderma's Photoderm next.

      Delete