June 13, 2013

Review: Bourjois Volumizer Mascara (01 Noir Maximizer)

I picked up this Bourjois Volumizer Mascara in 01 Noir Maximizer when there was a £3 off promotion on the product. This is a 2-step mascara that claims to prime the eyelashes with the step 1 brush and then further build volume with the step 2 brush. I have been using this for the past two weeks and today I want to share my thoughts.

Step 1 Brush

Step 2 Brush


Basically, this mascara applies the same formula with one wand through two filters of different sizes.



First of all, I adore the lengthening effect after just one swipe of the step 1 brush. A single layer of the product is able to define the lashes for a very natural look.

The trouble with step 2 began with way too much product on the wand. Even after whipping off the excess, the brush would still be heavily coated in product. It is almost impossible to avoid clumping and I gave up on trying to build layers. One coat with the step 2 wand bunches my lashes into sections, leaving unattractive gaps in between. I have to be quick with a lash comb to separate the lashes, so in this case, it's a good thing that the formula doesn't dry super fast.

I do like the final look once I put in the extra effort with the lash comb. As long as it's not a super close-up, the residual clumps are not very noticeable. The wand also curls my lashes and the product holds the curl for the duration of the wear. So far, this mascara has lasted at least 7 hours (I'll update when I wear it for longer) and managed to look as clean as freshly applied.

The weather has been getting a bit warmer, so sometimes a brisk walk under the sun will result in a little bit of sweat. Although this mascara is not advertised as waterproof, it did endure through those warm days unscathed. Despite the heaviness of the product, my lashes surprisingly did not feel as stiff as I expected. This mascara is also easy to remove.

Overall, I like the mascara formula with the step 1 brush. I wouldn't repurchase since its regular price is over £10 and there are less expansive alternatives that deliver the look of step 1. Sadly, for me, the advertised "No clumps guaranteed!" failed miserably, although with a lash comb, the clumps can be dealt with. I wish they had averaged the filter sizes for an one step mascara wand with just the right amount of product.

Have you tried this mascara? What are your thoughts on multi-step products?

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness I didn't buy this the last time it was on sale! I'm actually using a 2-step mascara by Marcelle but I only use the 1st step because the 2nd step is too clumpy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bourjois is available in Canada?! Anyways, avoiding 2-step mascara from now on

      Delete