May 30, 2013

Empties: May 2013

Today I want to share the products I finished this month in my first empties post! Although I am constantly trying out new products, I do try to use up opened bottles as much as possible. I will write a little blurb about each before tossing them out. You may wonder why I use (and used up) three different hand creams in the same month, so let's get started!



L'Occitane Hand Cream (30mL x 2) [Original Review Here]
I keep Pivoine Flora in my purse and I apply the Shea Butter version before I head out the door. These last around 2 months if used several times a day. I wash my hands a lot while I am at home, so applying hand cream to only wash it off within half an hour is a bit wasteful, especially since these travel sizes retail for £8 each. I wouldn't repurchase Pivoine Flora unless it came in a set, however, I will definitely pick up the Shea Butter version again. In fact, I already have a spare ready!

Vaseline Healthy Hands + Stronger Nails Hand Cream (75mL)
This is probably the third or fourth time I have finished a tube of this hand cream. I keep it on my desk since I can apply and then be able to type within seconds. Thanks to its light consistency, this hand cream absorbs almost instantly. With continuous use (over a week), I can definitely feel a difference in the strength of my nails. However, it is not an outstanding moisturizer. At £3-4 for 75mL, it lasted me around 6 months. The scent is not bad, not great. I don't know if I would buy this one again, I feel 3 times is enough to move on to something new.

The Body Shop Shea Body Butter - Very Dry Skin (200mL) [Original Review Here]
After a couple of months of just using it as spot treatment on my elbows and knees, I started applying this as my daily moisturizer around mid-March. This would be more suitable for drier skin than mine or for the colder months. I don't like it enough to repurchase.

The Body Shop Vitamin E Neck Gel (30mL) [Original Review Here]
This neck gel lasted me almost exactly 3 months. This product went on clearance a few weeks after I bought it, so I believed the discontinued rumors. When I was in the store earlier this month, this neck gel has been re-promoted to full price, but it still hasn't resurfaced on the UK website. Now that a week has gone by since I finished this tube, I do feel a difference. However, I probably wouldn't pay £9, especially since I don't know if it would still be offered in the future.

The Body Shop Japanese Cherry Blossom Shower Gel (250mL) [Original Review Here]
I switched this shower gel's original packaging for this pump when I finished the accompanying lotion in mid-March. The pump avoids wasting product and made the second half of the bottle last twice as long as the first half. In my opinion, this shower gel just smells nice, and but really doesn't do much else. I wouldn't repurchase.

Olay Active Hydrating Cream - Original (56mL)
I started using this facial moisturizer in my early teens. A decade has gone by and I still go through 3-4 jars every year. This cream is oil-free and absorbs quickly. I adore it so much that I brought a year's supply with me to the UK. My local UK drugstores stock one in similar packaging called Double Action Day Cream. Does anyone know if the content is identical? If so, why do brands market products via different names in different countries? I honestly don't remember my skin without this product by my side. I have tried other facial moisturizers in between, but I always go back to this one. Will repurchase and repurchase and repurchase.

TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner (500mL)
I used up the accompanying shampoo almost two months ago. Although I alternative shampoos between washes, I always stick with the same conditioner until I finish the bottle. So how I managed to get through two bottles of shampoo before finishing this conditioner remains a mystery. Actually, despite using generous amounts, all my conditioners share the same fate, they just last and last. This conditioner is not exceptionally moisturizing, but as a silicone-free, paraben-free, hypoallergenic conditioner, it exceeded my expectations. This is also suitable for sensitive skin and color-treated hair. I have no plans to repurchase this anytime soon, but may pick it up again eventually.

Which product did you finish this month? Which ones will you repurchase?

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your first empties post!
    Conditioners are the worst products to empty. I could go through 2-3 bottles of shampoo and the conditioner will still have 1/3's remaining!
    I currently have two conditioners open... they'll probably last until 2015 ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's not just me?! Maybe I should start buying travel size conditioners to go with my shampoo.

      Delete