February 8, 2013

Palm Court at The Langham

Following last week's installment of Prêt-à-Portea at The Berkeley, today I want to share my Dec 29th afternoon tea experience at the Palm Court in The Langham hotel.

While The Berkeley has more of a modern fashion twist, The Langham is the essence of a traditional afternoon tea experience. With pianist playing in the corner, grand chandeliers, and brocade-styled staff, The Langham claims to be the birthplace of afternoon tea more than 140 years ago. Although I must admit, I was more intrigued by the appearance of the hotel in Sir Conan Doyle's "A Scandal in Bohemia" where Sherlock Holmes was told that he could find his client “...at The Langham, under the name of Count Von Kramm". The hotel do make other appearances in the Sherlock Holmes series, of which I am a huge fan! Thus of course I made a trip to the tribute museum on Baker Street 2 days later (memories of queuing for more than 2 hours in the rain), but I digress.

I ordered the limited edition Asprey Bijoux inspired by the jewelry brand and my companion ordered the Winter Wonderland Christmas special.
My tea blend and the amuse-gueule (wine jelly with brioche)
Asprey Bijoux speciality sandwiches
  • Quail egg and wild mushroom othello
  • Smoked duck with foie gras and cherry
  • Crayfish with fennel and thousand island sauce
  • Parmesan with Fourme d'Ambert and cucumber
  • Lamb and mint pastry

Winter Wonderland speciality sandwiches (unfortunately we didn't note the details)


Scone time! A ample selection of chocolate, raisin, butter, etc. I'm usually not a fan of scones since they tend to have a very dry texture, but these are very good.
Asprey Bijoux pastries (on the right)
  • Praline truffle
  • Pina colada macaroon with Malibu
  • Blueberry and bilberry battenburg
  • Purple jasmine with apricot
  • Blackcurrant and white chocolate mousse
Unfortunately, I don't have the details for the Winter Wonderland pastries (on the left)


Close-up of Asprey Bijoux pastries

Close-up of Winter Wonderland pastries

Overall, this was a fantastic experience. Although we had a reservation mix-up, the staff was very accommodating. Definitely worth checking out!

Have you tried afternoon tea the The Palm Court? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment