January 27, 2013

Review: The Body Shop Japanese Cherry Blossom Deluxe Gift

What I really like about holiday shopping is the availability of gift sets. I love bundles for trying out new products without having to pay full retail. Of course, bundling always comes with the risk of disliking some products and loving others, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Sets are great as gifts for friends or just something to indulge ourselves. Today I want to share my thoughts on The Body Shop's Japanese Cherry Blossom Set.



The full name of this gift set is "Japanese Cherry Blossom Shower, Soften & Spritz Deluxe Gift", wow, that's a mouthful to say. Anyways, this gift set comes with 3 full-size products:

  • Japanese Cherry Blossom Eau de Toilette: 50ml
  • Japanese Cherry Blossom Shower Gel: 250ml
  • Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Lotion: 250ml

If purchased separately, the Eau de Toilette would have been £15, adding the £10 Body Lotion, and another £6.50 for the Shower Gel, the total would come up to £31.50. That's more than double of the £15 I paid for the set, so I definitely think it's a great deal. On a side note, I always thought pricing across chain retailers are consistent, but I did see the same set retailing for £25 at a different Body Shop location a few days after my purchase. Hmm, guess I was wrong.

Japanese Cherry Blossom Eau de Toilette Review

I actually bought a bottle of this in the summer of 2009 in a different bottle design. I'm not sure if the North American packaging for fragrances is consistently different from the UK ones or if the brand just revamped its packaging altogether. Could someone clarify which one of the two is true? The scent is sweeter than I remembered, but it still retained the fresh element I liked. With one spritz, I get about 2-3 hours wear time. It is great for a day time fragrance.

Japanese Cherry Blossom Shower Gel Review

The bottle is rather stiff, so I do foresee some difficulty in getting the product out once I work down the bottle. Unfortunately I dropped the bottle in my shower and half the rim snapped off. So be careful with the bottle as it is rather delicate. I really like the elegant resemblance of the label to a bottle of rose Champagne. I get an average amount of lather and the scent is very faint. No visible softening or hydrating effects as pitched on the bottle.

Update (May 30, 2013): Updated impressions in my May Empties.

Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Lotion Review

While the shower gel leaves me with a faint scent, the body lotion is at the other end of the spectrum. Although I do like the scent, its sillage is too strong to relax me for sleep. Thus most of the time I only use it on my legs (need about 4 pumps). I really like how the bottle comes with a pump. The texture of the lotion is on the watery side, so it absorbs quickly and hydrates the skin without any feeling of greasy.

One pump worth of lotion (click to enlarge)
Gravity doing its thing. The product spreads just by tilting my hand.


Update (March 18, 2013): I have used up the body lotion, after using it almost daily, minus a two weeks break. Thus the bottle lasted me around 7 weeks, for application just on my legs. I will not repurchase. On the bright side, I have switched the bottle pump onto the bottle of shower gel. It is much easier to get the product out now. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment